If you have been charged with domestic violence, you will most likely be facing an injunction for protection against domestic violence order filed by the victim. Either a temporary restraining order or a permanent injunction for protection against domestic violence can be ordered even if you have not been arrested for a domestic violence charge. The effects of this type of order are devastating: you will be banned from your home and cannot have contact with the victim or your children. Furthermore, this injunction order can be used against you during divorce hearings or domestic violence hearings, resulting in an even worse outcome.
Avoid Negative Outcomes From a Domestic Violence Injunction for Protection Hearing
By contacting a skilled Palm Beach domestic violence defense attorney as soon as possible after an injunction hearing has been scheduled, you may be able to avoid the following negative outcomes:
- A restraining order, whether granted or not, becomes public record and cannot be sealed or expunged. Potential employers conducting background checks can easily discover these records.
- As part of the injunction, you will lose the right to possess a gun.
- You can be held responsible for household bills even though you can no longer live in the home.
- You can be required to pay child support.
- Testimony from the hearing can be used at the domestic violence criminal trial.
- You may lose the right to have contact with your children.
- If it is determined that you have violated an order of protection, you will face additional criminal charges.
- You may need to submit to psychological and drug testing and complete mandatory courses at your own expense.
A petition for an injunction for protection against domestic violence or repeat violence can be filed against both men and women. Having a skilled and experienced domestic violence defense attorney can help you get the order dismissed. If you have been accused of violating the restraining order, we can also prepare a solid defense to get these charges dismissed.
For more than a decade, The Law Offices of Matthew Konecky, PA, have successfully defended clients during these domestic violence injunction hearings. Many times these claims are false or exaggerated. The impact to the accused is severe, affecting an individual’s reputation and future employment. If children are involved, the ability to retain contact or custody of children is at stake. If you are in a strained relationship, what starts out as an argument with your spouse or significant other can quickly escalate into a false allegation. As an aggressive Palm Beach domestic violence injunction attorney, I can build a solid defense to refute false allegations and protect you from long-term negative effects on your life. Contact us today!