As the title of this page suggest, aggravated assault convictions can lead to some very serious consequences. Not to mention the impact it can have on your loved ones as well. Below, our Palm Beach Gardens aggravated assault attorney discusses what these charges mean, what penalties they may carry and how we can help you protect your rights.
Table of Contents:
What is Aggravated Assault?
Under Florida State Law, aggravated assault is defined as an assault under the following circumstances:
- An assault committed with a deadly weapon without the intent to kill
- An assault committed with an intent to commit a felony crime. This includes the intentional threat of violence by word or action by someone demonstrating the ability to cause harm.
Is Aggravated Assault a Felony?
If you are charged with aggravated assault in Florida, you are facing a third-degree felony conviction. The penalties are severe and can include a prison sentence, probation, and harsh fines. With an aggravated assault conviction in the State of Florida, you will also lose your right to carry a firearm and you will lose the right to vote.
In addition, conviction on such a charge not only permanently affects your reputation, but will also impact your ability to maintain a job and seek employment. Lastly, this will result in a permanent criminal record.
Additional Penalties for Conviction of Aggravated Assault in Palm Beach Gardens
In Florida, you could face more serious consequences for aggravated assault in the following situations:
- Aggravated Assault with a Firearm. In Florida, if you are convicted of using a firearm in the commission of this crime, you will face a three-year minimum mandatory prison sentence upon conviction.
- Public Safety Servant Penalty. If convicted of aggravated assault against a public safety servant, the third-degree felony is escalated to a second-degree felony, which comes with a three-year minimum mandatory prison sentence. Public safety servants include law enforcement officers, firefighters, and EMTs.
How We Defend Against Aggravated Assault Charges
Aggravated assault is recognized as a violent crime that requires a solid defense. As your criminal defense attorney, there are several strategies we can use to defend you, including the following:
- Lack of sufficient evidence
- Unreasonable fear
- No real threat evident in your actions
- Factual innocence of the charges against you.
Don’t wait until it is too late. Your freedom and livelihood are at stake. Our Palm Beach Gardens aggravated assault attorney can build the best defense strategy for your case. We have extensive knowledge and experience. You will receive our dedicated attention to your situation and ensure justice is served.
With This Much at Stake, You Need an Experienced Palm Beach Gardens Aggravated Assault Attorney
With so much on the line, it is extremely important that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney immediately. Do not talk to the police or waive your right to remain silent. Any statements you make will be used against you. At The Law Offices of Matthew Konecky, PA, our team has extensive experience in dealing with criminal assault charges and is dedicated to seeking justice for our clients. We have handled thousands of cases with positive outcomes for our clients.