If you have been charged with domestic violence, you will most likely be facing an injunction for protection against domestic violence order filed by the victim. Either a temporary restraining order or a permanent injunction can be ordered even if you have not been arrested for a domestic violence charge.
On This Page:
Understanding the Effects of a Domestic Violence Injunction
The effects of this type of order are devastating: you will be banned from your home and cannot have contact with the victim or your children. Furthermore, this injunction order can be used against you during divorce hearings or domestic violence hearings, resulting in an even worse outcome.
Negative Outcomes From a Domestic Violence Injunction for Protection Hearing
After an injunction hearing has been scheduled, you may be able to avoid the following negative outcomes:
- A restraining order, whether granted or not, becomes public record and cannot be sealed or expunged. Potential employers conducting background checks can easily discover these records.
- As part of the injunction, you will lose the right to possess a gun.
- You can be held responsible for household bills even though you can no longer live in the home.
- You can be required to pay child support.
- Testimony from the hearing can be used at the domestic violence criminal trial.
- You may lose the right to have contact with your children.
- If it is determined that you have violated an order of protection, you will face additional criminal charges.
- You may need to submit to psychological and drug testing and complete mandatory courses at your own expense.
A petition for an injunction for protection against domestic violence or repeat violence can be filed against both men and women. Having a skilled and experienced domestic violence defense attorney can help you get the order dismissed. If you have been accused of violating the restraining order, we can also prepare a solid defense to get these charges dismissed.
Can You Challenge a Domestic Violence Injunction in Palm Beach Gardens?
In short, the answer is yes. In the video below, Matthew Konecky discusses why you should consult an experienced criminal defense attonrey if you 've been served with a temporary restraining order or a domestic violence injunction:
Contact Our Proven Palm Beach Gardens Defense Attorney
For more than a decade, The Law Offices of Matthew Konecky, PA, have successfully defended clients during these domestic violence injunction hearings. Many times these claims are false or exaggerated. The impact to the accused is severe, affecting an individual’s reputation and future employment. If children are involved, the ability to retain contact or custody of children is at stake.
If you are in a strained relationship, what starts out as an argument with your spouse or significant other can quickly escalate into a false allegation. As an aggressive Palm Beach Gardens deefense attorney, I can build a solid defense to refute false allegations and protect you from long-term negative effects on your life.
Click the button above or give us a call at (561) 671-5995 to schedule a free case evaluation.