You may think the sooner you get a lawyer on your case after an arrest, the better off you’ll be. You might also think that it doesn’t really matter who that attorney is, as long as they take criminal cases. However, both of these assumptions could jeopardize your future and your freedom. This is why it's important to find a criminal defense attorney in Palm Beach Gardens you can trust.
Because after all, what matters most after a criminal charge is finding the right attorney for your specific situation. At the Law Offices of Matthew Konecky, PA, we're happy to talk to you about your case and let you how we can help.
What to Look For (and to Look Out For) When Hiring a Criminal Attorney
Whether it’s your first arrest or your fifth, you are probably feeling scared and desperate. You want to do everything you can to stay out of jail and to clear your name, but if you make decisions out of panic instead of getting accurate legal advice, you could harm your case more than you help it.
In most situations, you have 30 days from the day of your arrest until your first court appearance, which is plenty of time to talk to several attorneys to find the one that’s right for you. When you do talk to attorneys, watch out for the following:
- Promises of free consultations. Criminal attorneys usually charge a flat fee based on the type of case you have, and they are not willing to give away much information for free. Most “free consultations” are just sales pitches that try to reel you in and get you to sign on the dotted line. Don’t let what you thought was a chance to gather information turn in to a commitment to an attorney you don’t trust.
- Scare tactics that rush your decision. Telling you that you have to act fast or that time is of the essence are tactics some attorneys use to get you to hire them before talking to other attorneys. In most cases, you have several weeks before you really need an attorney, and that is plenty of time to do your due diligence in finding the right attorney for you.
- Claims of “connections.” Many criminal defense attorneys are former prosecutors, and most are familiar with judges in their district. While some attorneys may make these claims to imply that they will be more successful with your case than another attorney, don’t buy it.
- High-volume firms. Large firms with high-profile names behind them often have dozens of associates and paralegals who actually do the work on a case. At some firms, you never see the same attorney twice, and you certainly never work with the guy you see on TV.
You don’t have to worry about these claims and tactics at our Palm Beach Gardens criminal defense firm. We are open and honest about what you need and how we can help.
Common Types of Criminal Cases We Take in Palm Beach Gardens
Criminal attorney Matthew Konecky has nearly 20 years of defense experience in Palm Beach Gardens, and he has successfully defended clients facing charges for a variety of crimes (listed below).
- Aggravated Assault
- Aggravated Battery
- Domestic Violence Defense
- Domestic Violence Injunction
- Drug Possession
- Drugs With Intent to Sell
- Drug Trafficking
- Firearms and Weapons Charges
- First-Time Offender Defense
- Grand Theft
- Home Invasion
- Juvenile Defense
- Marijuana Defense
- Mugshot Removal Services
- Out-of-State/Tourist Defense
- Petit Theft
- Probation Violation
- Seal & Expunge
Do I Actually Need a Criminal Lawyer for My Case?
Probably the most common kinds of questions we get revolve around whether or not someone really needs to hire a criminal defense attorney for their case. While in actuality you may not, the reality is, you may want one. Below, criminal lawyer Matthew Konecky discusses the important of having someone with experience on your side:
What an Experienced Palm Beach Gardens Criminal Defense Lawyer Will Do for You
He understands that juveniles and college students have their entire futures ahead of them and will launch an aggressive defense to protect them. When you hire our Palm Beach Gardens crimial lawyer, you can be sure he will develop an aggressive defense strategy by:
- Thoroughly investigating your case
- Reviewing all reports and witness statements
- Researching case law
- Speaking to relevant witnesses (when allowed by the Court)
- Making jail visits
- Filing all appropriate motions
Matthew and his team will never drag out a case to make more money. He will pursue every opportunity to get your case dismissed and, if that’s not possible, he will do all he can to ensure that you receive fair treatment throughout the legal process.
How to Find the Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in Palm Beach Gardens
When looking for the best Palm Beach Gardens criminal defense lawyer, there are certain things you should do, like ask friends for referrals or read online reviews, and things that you should not do, like call your local bar association. In the video below, our criminal attorney in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, explains why and why not:
Get the Honest Advice and Personal Attention Your Case Deserves
When you trust your criminal case to Matthew Konecky, you'll get our personal attention and one-on-one service throughout the process. Fill out the contact form below to schedule a consulation at our Palm Beach Gardens office to talk to our legal team and find out if we are the right firm for you.